about L A M P
‘Lighting Architecture Movement Project’ was founded in 2013 as a temporary group installation showcasing light and form through the lens of architectural design. L A M P was created to offer designers an opportunity to engage their talents in unique conceptual explorations and to connect the local community to architecture and design.
2014 reimagines L A M P as an international design competition open to all ages and creative backgrounds. The event will curate 10 jury picked lights that will be exhibited at an event in November. The top 25 designs will be shown in their concept sketch form at the event and will be open to a public vote. The top audience design and top panel choice will have the chance to receive manufacturing guidance with the potential for professional distribution for their design.
Last year’s L A M P Vancouver event drew in a crowd of over 250 artists, architects, product designers, students and local business entrepreneurs. The exhibition remained accessible to the public for the week following the event and saw broad media exposure.
L A M P bustles with MOVEMENT. It sets itself apart from other architectural lighting & design competitions with its unique incorporation of music and dance.
open to all ages & creative talents. entrants must adhere to design theme & specifications and consider the competition registration and timeline requirements.
• entries welcome to interpret theme however they wish.
• entrants limited to ONE design per submission fee.
• each design to be submitted on time through designated submission process.
• proposed designs MUST NOT exceed 10 cubic feet.
• lighting designs can be in any format; floor, pendant, table…
• INDOOR working lights only, adhering to north american safety standards.
• final submissions intended for 1:1 scale.
• all design, material, submission & shipping costs (including return) to be absorbed by entrants.
• 10 finalist submissions have the choice of having their entry pieces returned OR sold with a share of 50/50 profits at silent auction.
• designs must use LED sustainable lights in proposed designs.
fibre or fiber (ˈfaɪbə) — n
1. a natural or synthetic filament that may be spun into yarn, such as cotton or nylon
2. cloth or other material made from such yarn
3. a long fine continuous thread or filament
4. the structure of any material or substance made of or as if of fibres; texture
5. essential substance or nature: all the fibres of his being were stirred
6. strength of character (esp in the phrase moral fibre )
7. See dietary fibre
a. a narrow elongated thick-walled cell: a constituent of sclerenchyma tissue
b. such tissue extracted from flax, hemp, etc, used to make linen, rope, etc
c. a very small root or twig
9. anatomy any thread-shaped structure, such as a nerve fibre
• registration fee per design submission is $30
• fees and initial submission materials will be accepted online only.
• submission materials MUST include:
• 2-5 concept sketches, renderings and or photographs of proposed lighting design.
• 250 word MAX entrant bio.
• 250 word separate submission CONCEPT statement
• design TITLE to be clearly displayed on all submission materials. Entrants name MUST NOT be displayed on any submission materials apart from submission form evaluation process and entrant bio.
2014 L A M P timeline
• july 1st - competition announced
• august 15th - application submission deadline
• september 15th - registrants notified of top 25 entries and jury panel selected top 10.
• october 27th accepting top 10 exhibition materials.
• october 31st - deadline for materials.
• november 13th - L A M P event.
a jury panel of 4-5 top local designers and architects will be announced by august 1st. jurors will base their decisions on the design’s integration of theme, use of sustainable material wherever possible, consideration & feasibility of shipping and ease of exhibition, innovation & originality, potential for marketability and economic manufacturing.
L A M P is run by founders Annika Hagen and Nicole Fox. Our interests and abilities span writing, film, dance and design. We are performers, producers and audience members. We joined forces in the interest of producing interesting, dynamic and enjoyable events that people will remember.
media contact: Tanya Tweten – Promoter at Heart – firstname.lastname@example.org
*photo credit Adele Thomas of Make.